Display discovery refers to the ability for a user to "discover" what Solstice displays are available to connect to. A user may always connect to a Pod by typing the Pod’s IP address into the Solstice App. However, Solstice discovery can streamline the connection process by listing all Pods available for connection and enabling users to simply click a Pod’s name to connect. This template allows you to configure the settings for two discovery methods that will enable this click-to-connect functionality: broadcast discovery or Solstice Discovery Service (SDS).
The Solstice Discovery Service (SDS) is an IT-friendly, non-broadcast mechanism that allows users to discover and click-to-connect to Solstice displays from their own devices to start sharing content. SDS makes connecting to a Solstice display fast and easy for users, especially those on networks that don't allow broadcast traffic. For more information on how to implement and configure SDS, see Solstice Discovery Service (SDS).
- From the Solstice Cloud Home page, in the left sidebar navigation panel, click Manage > Templates > Discovery.
- Click Create New Discovery Template.
- Enter the Template Name. For example, you could name the template by location (London Office) or descriptively (Mountain Theme).
- Click Save.
You can also start by duplicating an existing template and making changes to it. Click on the three dots on the right side of the template you want to start with, and choose Duplicate Template.
Broadcast discovery is only recommended for single network configurations that do not use a switch and that allow UDP broadcast traffic. If you do not wish for Solstice to utilize broadcast discovery, you can disable it in the Discovery template. However, Mersive strongly recommends utilizing Solstice Discovery Service (SDS) if broadcast discovery is disabled, to ensure that users will be able to find and connect to Solstice displays.
- Enable or disable the Broadcast display name on network option.
- Click Save.
- First, you will need to find the static IP address of the SDS host machine. To find this, open a Command Prompt window on the Windows host machine or Windows server that SDS is installed on. Type ipconfig then hit your Enter key. The IP address is listed in the results that appear.
- In your Solstice Cloud Discovery template, select the List display to SDS option.
- In the SDS Host field, enter the IP address of the SDS host machine.
- Click Save.
If you have multiple instances of SDS, repeat the steps above for each instance.
- In the left sidebar menu of Solstice Cloud, click Manage > Pods.
The Pod Template Assignments table displays. This table is used to apply templates across your deployment. You can apply a template to multiple Pods at once.
- Select the checkboxes of the Pods you want to apply the template to. You can select each Pod's checkbox individually, or select the checkbox in the header row of the table to select all Pods you have access to in the table.
- For each template you want to apply, go to the corresponding template type column (e.g., Welcome Screen). You can view a different group of template columns by selecting the group name in the upper right-hand corner of the table.
You can use the filters from the categories you have created to sort Pods in your deployment and make applying templates across your deployment easier. Filters allow you to apply templates by criteria such as location or campus, depending on the categories you have created and assigned to Pods.
- Click the corresponding drop-down for one of the checked Pods in the table, then select the name of the created template. This will apply the template to all of the checked Pods.
- A pop-up will ask you to confirm the changes. Click Confirm. A green notification that the template was applied then displays.
- As changes are being applied, a loading icon will appear next to the Pod, and the pending changes icon will appear next to the template(s) being applied. Once the changes are applied, the Pod's normal status will resume.
- If a template you applied has any unique settings that need to be applied each Pod individually, a sliding pop-up will appear prompting you to enter the needed information. Once you are done with all of the settings screens, click Save & Close.
If a Pod is offline, any changes made will be applied when the Pod is back online.