Get Started with Solstice Active Learning
Solstice Active Learning is a software-enabled active routing solution for multi-team learning environments that allows educators to control, share, and engage with students. The application provides a simple active learning space design tool, drag-and-drop video sharing between screens, and an instant messaging system that can broadcast information to each display on demand.
Solstice Active Learning can be enabled on Solstice Gen3 Pods with software version 4.5 or later and a current Active Learning subscription. Additionally, each designer and facilitator must have a Solstice Cloud account in order to virtually design rooms and route video in real-time using the free Active Learning app.
Steps to Get Started with Solstice Active Learning
- Physical setup of the Active Learning room. Learn More
- Log in to your Solstice Cloud (formerly known as Kepler) account and invite Active Learning Designers and Facilitators to create their accounts.
- Designers and Facilitators accept the email invitation to create their accounts
- Designers and Facilitators download the Solstice Active Learning app
- Designer virtually designs and sets up the active learning room within the Solstice Active Learning app
- Facilitators use Solstice Active Learning app to conduct active learning sessions, route video and content, or broadcast messages within the active learning room
If your organization does not already have a Solstice Cloud account, see Get Started with Solstice Cloud for more information on how to set up your account.
Solstice administrators must invite Active Learning users and assign an Active Learning user role in the Solstice Cloud portal.
- Log in to the Solstice Cloud portal as an administrator.
- Click the User icon in the top-right corner of the portal, then click Account.
- In the Invite someone to Solstice Cloud field, enter in the email address of the user you wish to invite.
- From the Choose a Role drop-down, select one of the following options:
- Active Learning Designer - Can use the Solstice Active Learning app to virtually design and set up the active learning rooms. Designers are also able to conduct active learning sessions and route video and content in the active learning room.
- Active Learning Facilitator - Can use the Active Learning app to conduct active learning sessions and route video and content in the active learning room.
- Click Send Invite.
The Solstice Active Learning app can be installed on a laptop or tablet device. Windows and macOS laptop PCs and Android or iOS tablets are supported. Active Learning Designers and Facilitators must download the app to use the Solstice Active Learning capabilities.
- Users with laptop PCs can visit mersive.com/download to download the Solstice Active Learning app.
- Users with tablet devices can download the Solstice Active Learning app from their respective app store.
The MSI installer package of the Solstice Active Learning app allows for a GUI-based installation on a local machine or GPO deployment in Active Directory. This allows your IT administrator to centrally deploy the Active Learning app on Windows machines and can be set to install silently. The installer does need privileges to install system-wide, but the installer does not explicitly check for these privileges. This makes it easier to use the MSI in a remote deployment where either an administrator or the SYSTEM account can install this properly.
The MSI allows you to set the following installation parameter:
- INSTALLDIR= controls where the client will be installed. The default is: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Mersive Technologies, Inc\Active Learning\”. Note: The string “INSTALLDIR” must be written in capital letters.
The client-specific data that was stored in each user’s home directory will now be stored in a central shared location. This allows for centralized management of these settings and the ability to update them for all users at installation time.
msiexec /i ActiveLearning.msi INSTALLDIR=”C:\Program Files (x86)\Mersive Technologies, Inc\Active Learning” /quiet /log c:\ActiveLearningClient.log
The above example will:
- Silently install the client in the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveLearning
- Write an installation log file named C:\ActiveLearningClient.log
If stepping through the InstallShield wizard, the installation directory can also be set on the installer's Destination Folder dialog page.
Each Solstice Active Learning user should have a unique login. Mersive does not recommend creating a universal guest account for guest facilitators.